- Mining & Pastoral
- Our Office
- How we can help
Greens celebrate news that Dixon Island will be saved
WA Greens are today celebrating after news that Dixon Island, off the Pilbara coast, will no longer be used by industry as part of the West Pilbara Iron Ore Project (WPIOP) Anketell Point Port Development Proposal.
In February this year the Greens Mining spokesperson, Mr Robin Chapple MLC, made a submission to the Environmental Protection Authority on the proposal, opposing the use of Dixon Island for the project and presenting an alternative option.
“Today I met with API Management Pty Ltd (API), the proponent for the West Pilbara Iron Ore Project, and was advised that the information provided in my submission was instrumental in the project being redesigned to avoid the sensitive heritage and environmental areas of Dixon Island,” said Mr Chapple.
“This is clearly an example when common sense, industrial development and environmental and heritage management can be all be dealt with in a sensitive manner.”
“The proponents and the EPA are to be commended for their understanding of the sensitive issues surrounding Dixon Island.” Mr Chapple added.
The issues covered in Mr Chapple’s submission were:
- The area is of significant conservation, heritage and cultural value.
- The conservation of the mangrove habitats and dependent habitats along the southern flank of Dixon Island.
- The number of freshwater soaks which may have been impacted by the proposal to use the Island.
- There was no strategic or economic need to use the Island.
- The area has been previously impacted by an unusual seismic or tsunami event. and
- There was an industrial and economic alternative.
Please see attached:
Dixon Island Submission to EPA by Robin Chapple, and API Proposal amended
|2010-02-28 Dixon Island Submission to EPA.PDF||3.64 MB|
|2011-11-18 API Proposal amended.pdf||1.65 MB|